Sunday, June 10, 2012

My first full day in Barcelona

I'm having some problems posting pictures to my blog, but you can find my photos on my Flickr account or on Instagrid.

There have been a few additional photo problems, but more about that later.

Since I arrived in Barcelona I've been in hot pursuit of mosaics, Modernisme, Miró, Gaudí, Picasso, and Dalí. It's been easy in some ways and difficult in others. There are numerous sites for each item and many of them overlap. The public transportation system here is excellent. I've been able to get around easily via bus, metro, and on foot.

On day one I set out to explore on foot. It's a bit of a walk down La Rambla to Palau Güell. One Of Gaudi's masterpieces, it's located less than a block down Carrer de Nou Rambla. The house, or perhaps palace is more appropriate, is extraordinary. The attention to detail is exquisite. Everything is handcrafted exactly for this space. I can't begin to describe it, but the thing I was seeking was on the roof terrace. There I could get up close and personal with the mosaic chimney pots. I've seen photos, but this was right there in front of my eyes and in reach of my hands.

The chimneys have been restored to their original splendor. The documentation on the restoration of the entire building is on view in the attic. I was able to see what went into the creation of these incredible sculptures. The work was done both by and under the supervision of Josep Gardy Artigas, the son of the original mosaicist, Josep Llorens Artigas.

Back down at street level I turned back to study the wrought iron work on the front of the building. I was reminded of Albert Paley's work. It is easy to see how Modernisme influenced this contemporary American sculptor's work.

Back closer to my hotel, as in across the street closer, I wandered over to the little Eglesia de Santa Anna. I haven't explored there yet. I did peek through the gates at the shaded and colonnaded courtyard. I'll go back there later.

No comments: