Monday, June 4, 2012

Barcelona or bust!

I've made my way to my three hour layover in Newark. The airport is crowded with student groups. I'm people watching. There's a lovely young woman with turquoise and lime green hair. She's talking with a grandmotherly looking woman. The rest of the young people in her group are just your regular, normal high school students. Her hair makes me think of mermaids. I prefer her look to that of the bevies of bleached blonde babes and their equally platinum chaperones that I found surrounding me at Bush Airport. They all had the same look, same monogram jewelry, identical tans. It was very Stepford of them. Even their conversation seemed dulled by their lack of individuality. They reminded me of a school of golden fishes darting about. The mermaid girl would stand out in any crowd, or should that be school.

I'm looking forward to getting some rest on the plane. I had difficulty sleeping last night between waking up thinking of this or that task that still needed doing and the strange dreams that have been nagging at me. I've been having dreams of school. Imagine that!

But now the trip has begun. There's no going back now.

More people watching: a WASPish looking gentleman in Buddhist monk's robes, a flock of stewards and pilots, a heavyset man in a white suit with a black shirt and mirrored shades. It's hard to get bored here. No need to watch the TV. If I get tired of people watching there are awesome cloudscapes just outside the windows.

It's time to charge up the electronic devices and get a bite to eat.

Hasta Cataluña.

No comments: