Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Art Invokes the Diety.

It doesn't matter what language they speak, watching someone encounter the Sagrada Familia for the first time, they get it. From that first moment, whether turning the corner on the street or stepping out of the ground from the Metro station, they get it.

Antoni Gaudí probably never got to see the effects of what he had created. I'm sure he got a taste of it when people saw the residences he designed, but that was no where near this.

I can't explain it to you. I can only show you pictures and tell you what I overheard as I stood near another pilgrim, for that is what we all become in this space. As I passed this young man staring up at the vaulted ceiling high above he said in a hushed awestruck whisper, "There is a God."

What more could Gaudí have wanted?

No comments: