Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Like a Virgin, with apologies to Gaudí and Madonna both

I treasure the feeling of first spotting a Gaudí creation. It was the Palau Güell. Wandering down La Rambla towards the sea, I took a left onto a narrow little one way street much like all the other narrow little streets in the area known as Raval. Souvenir shops and sandwich shops line the tiny sidewalks. The street was none too clean. It was early morning with the city just waking. I had no idea what was coming.

And then, there it was, these two incredible arched wrought iron gates set into the stone wall. There are no words to fully describe it. Wrought iron taken to its limits and made to move and flow like a pile of ribbon. Between the two gates there is a great wrought iron sculpture topped by a barbed sphere on which perches a fearsome bird. I have no idea how long I stood and tried to take it all in.

The street is so narrow, even backing up across the street, risking being hit by racing motorcycles and taxis, I couldn't take it all in completely. I craned my neck to see the top of this amazing place and up there in the far distance I could see just a bit of the most exquisitely turned mosaic finials glistening in the morning light.

There was nothing I could do, but stand gape mouthed before this tremendous place so out of time and place on this previously normal little street. I got my camera out only to realize there was no way that I could capture an image of it. I could never do it justice. I was reduced to taking shots of details, the gate, the sculpture, the windows covered in wrought iron lace.

I love to go walking past it over and over. I can't recapture the full feeling of first seeing the Palau Güell, but I can watch the crowds that gather to gawk at it. I can experience, if only vicariously, that wondrous feeling once more.

No comments: