Thursday, July 19, 2007

On the way to Chaco Cultural National Historical Park




Here I am again, typing away on a hotel computer. I'm at the Comfort Inn in Farmington, New Mexico. Tomorrow morning it will be up early and off to Chaco.

White House Ruin, Canyon de Chelly

Monday night was spent in Chinle, Arizona. In the morning Brandy and I took a tour of Canyon de Chelly. Access to the canyon is only in company of a Navajo guide. We took a half day tour that included portions of both the North and South Canyons. We saw petroglyphs and ruins. Any time the truck we were travelling in went into the shadows of the canyon walls it was at least 10 degrees cooler.

Mesa Verde


Tuesday and Wednesday night were spent in Mesa Verde National Park. There are more ruins and archaeological sites in this one small area than you could possibly believe. There are also some really hair-raising roads in this park.

We stayed at the Farview Lodge. Our room was not air conditioned. It was OK after sundown, but when the sun was streaming down it was unpleasantly hot.

Mesa Verde Sunset

Gorgeous views of sunset. We could see Shiprock from our porch.

Yesterday we went on a self-guided tour. We took the bus tour of the park this morning. Like I said, the park is full of a variety of sites, pit-houses and cliff dwellings, both.

I'm about worn out with being on the road. I'll be glad to head home soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your authorship never ceases to amaze me, Jean. I love your discriptive observations. Most of the territory you are covering is familiar to me from another time and 'season'. There were no rours or guides back in the early fifties. I recall climbing all oveer Mesa Verde without a guide and only a very small park fee. Christine was about five years old and stayed in the car!!
The sites were awsome then as they must be now. There was a native trading post on our route through Indian country--a real one--selling food and needed items to the Native folk. We didn't visit Hubble Trading Post. There was a small supply of earrings, I bought a pair--lost in time now. But no tourist stuff. We were really off the beaten path. I have enjoyed reading your blogs--I have many memories down those lanes.
Love and Hugs,
Joyce