Sunday, July 1, 2007

High altitude

I'm taking it easy right now.

I've driven over a thousand miles alone over the past few days and I'm ready to settle in one place for a couple of days. The last couple of hundred miles were spent on a highway full of semis. It was just a touch nerve wracking, although I trust them more than the crazy tourist types who want to drive 85 to 90 miles an hour no matter what.


Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo Texas


I stopped at Stanley Marsh III's Cadillac Ranch outside of Amarillo for a quick Kodak moment. Where else in the world will you see a lot of very straight, upstanding Americans out tagging for all they are worth? Folks bring their own cans of spray paint. I got a great shot of two kids, a brother and sister by the way they were treating each other, making their mark. The little girl wouldn't relinquish the can to her brother. The whole while mom was telling her they had to go. She finally agreed to go but she wanted to take the spray paint with her. She was a girl on a mission. And another graffiti artist is born!

Young taggers in the making!


This posting is coming to you from Ghost Ranch Santa Fe. I spent last night here and I've just checked out. Next stop the Sagebrush Inn in Taos, New Mexico.

The altitude here is getting to me a bit, occasional mild dizziness and feeling a bit winded.

I walked over to the plaza yesterday evening. After the drive here I didn't want to get back behind the wheel or try to read a map, at least not for a few hours. The walk helped to stretch my legs back out.

The most amusing thing I saw was a street guy whose gimmick was he had trained his dog, his cat and his pet rat to get along. He had the dog lying on the sidewalk with the cat on top of the dog and the rat on top of the cat. Wierd! He had a goodly sized audience and his tip jar was far from empty. Who knows, it could be a good way to make a living.

I didn't even bother to go out to eat. I had myself another one of those dry bologna sandwiches and water. What a diet! I promise I'm not living off bologna, bread and water.

The breakfast at Hudspeth House was great, french toast, sausage, orange juice and coffee. It was served up on the good china. I really think everyone should stay there at least once. It was really wonderful.

Breakfast here at Ghost Ranch Santa Fe is not shabby either. They have a breakfast buffet that definitely hits the spot. I had english muffins, yogurt and orange juice. A couple of cups of coffee and a quick pit stop and I'm good to go.

OK, friends and neighbors, it's time to sign off and hit the road again.
Next stop, Taos.

2 comments:

Sinda said...

Sounds like fun so far!

Anonymous said...

Love your Blogs--wish I were there!!
I miss your emails but the Blogs really take up the slack.
Hugs,
Joycie