Thursday, June 28, 2007


A very rainy morning in Austin. Thankfully the storms stayed just to the east of me on the way up.

I'm heading out shortly. Spent the night at Jesse and Sinda's (my stepson and his wife) on the edge of Austin. Thai food for dinner. Read books to the granddaughters, Hannah and Hazel. In bed by 10:00.

I woke up this morning with a start and the realization that my guidebooks and maps are safely at home in my dining room. Oh, well. No need for vicarious experience here. It's time for the real thing. Time to get my nose out of the books and keep my eyes on the road. Time to drive. Time to write and draw and paint.

I have my AAA printouts and a borrowed, tattered map of Texas. The map reminds me of Mission Impossible. "Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to drive as far as you can towards Palo Duro Canyon. This map will self-destruct by the time you get to Santa Fe."

'Nough said and written. Time to drive. Wild women start your engines!

No comments: