Friday, June 22, 2007

This is what summer is for or why I don't teach summer school

Summer is the time that I recharge. For ten months out of the year, I teach art in an elementary school. I teach pre-kindergarten through fifth grade. I’ve been in the same school now for nine years.

My first six years in public schools I spent in a middle school. My students ranged from sixth through eighth grade, that’s about 11 to almost 16 years old depending on their history with the education system.

Before I began teaching in public school I taught as a visual artist/instructor for a wide range of organizations, museums, arts organizations, after-school programs. I worked on individual contracts with each job different from the rest. My schedule was loosely two months on and one month off. This meant that just about the time that I had begun to relax and get back to making art it was time to start over again. Back then I taught every summer.

I have two grown children. During the summer when they were small they went with me wherever I went. This meant that they got exposed to a lot of really wonderful stuff: art, dance, music, acting and voice lessons. They also got to share their mom with other children. They took it pretty well, but by the end of a long day of working with small children I didn’t want to hear anyone calling my name or have anyone tug at my sleeve. My kids turned out well, all considered, which is to say that I am very proud of both of them.

In addition to teaching art I would go with the children and chaperone them at their afternoon activity, which was normally swimming. This entailed a great deal of time in the changing rooms helping tiny little girls into even tinier swimsuits. Once in the pool I would be encircled by little people who wanted to be in the water, but hadn’t yet learned to swim. I stayed in the shallow end of the pool with them, making sure that I could count all of their heads at any given moment. I never lost one.

Nowadays I take the summers off. I have ever since I started teaching in public school. I also try to keep my holidays free during the school year.

There is a popular misconception that teachers “get the summer off”, that this is vacation time for us. I suppose you could call it that. Teachers like me are on a contract that pays us for ten months of the year. Although I work ten months a year my pay is spread over the full twelve months. This allows me a certain amount of freedom over the summer. It also brings up some entertaining questions about money and why teachers don’t receive interest payments for letting the school districts hold on to the money that we’ve already earned, but not received. Anyway, that is a whole different matter and I’ll save it for a later date and a more appropriate place.

I use my summers to regroup and catch up on all the things that I fall behind on during the school year. My house is normally a shambles by the time that summer rolls around. I sort through piles of accumulated papers. I read books pertaining to my teaching field, which is art. I go to museums and galleries although here in Houston we have a definite summer lull as far as art openings and events go. I work in my studio. If I can afford it, I travel. I attend professional development workshops and classes. At some point in all of this I start to think about the coming school year and plan for what will be.

By mid-August I’ll be ready to go back into my classroom. My enthusiasm will be restored. I’ll return refreshed and relaxed, ready to face all the eager young folks that enter my room.

No comments: