Saturday, April 14, 2007

The journey has begun

It was an unseasonably cool day here. I awoke early to go and receive the check that will make this sojourn possible.

I walked under gray skies in the company of women who could only be teachers who were grant recipients like myself. Who else would be walking down the sidewalk dressed in "business casual" on such a bleak Saturday morning before 10:00 AM?

Once inside the Alumni Building we gathered in the Great Hall. Now there were men and women gathered, each with a red canvas backpack labeled "Fund for Teachers", a black folder containing a certificate and a white folder containing our instructions. The room buzzed as everyone asked what everyone else's grant was for.

There were sausage biscuits, muffins, coffee and orange juice. Occasionally the sun peeked in through the large glass windows as we awaited our orientation. Jenny greeted us and praised our initiative. For a moment I felt worried. The last time I had heard the words "best and brightest" was before the Great Performance Pay Fiasco. We were instructed in the fine art of fulfilling the requirements of our grants by Stephanie. Afterward we turned in our media releases and forms, all dutifully signed and witnessed. Upon receipt of our forms we were given the envelopes containing our grant checks. I think everyone opened their envelopes as soon as they were back at their seats. Just for a moment there was some hesitation. Could this really be true and real? Were we really going to go on these amazing adventures? Ladies and gentlemen, the envelop, please. And the answer is, yes! You could feel the tension dissolve and the entire room seemed to breath a sign of relief.

We were called in for our group photos. First there was the full group photo op, followed by the school district photos. Fortunately the photographer was able to shoot us from the balcony above the foyer. Good thing since I don't think we were capable in our excitement of getting into any semblance of order, heightwise or other.

For a few moments more we were gathered together as a group united by the opportunity afforded us by the Fund for Teachers and the donors who believed in us enough to back the program financially. The three of us who had been fortunate enough to receive a grant five years ago gave advice to those who sought us out. Stephanie told us we were free to go and we wandered out into the gray day, envelopes clutched in hands and minds full of dreams.

I headed for home in my bumpersticker encrusted pick-up truck. My first stop was at my house. I had to scan the check so that I will be able to collage it into my journal. Once that was done I headed straight for the bank. I needed to get there before the drive-through tellers closed.

As the check, now endorsed, the deposit slip and my driver's license nestled in the plastic cylinder and were sucked away by the pneumatic tube my mind turned to thoughts of what to do next.

A moment later my reverie was interrupted by the young man in the teller booth's voice. "Ma'am, there will be a two day hold on this check."

"That's OK. Not a problem." I replied and with that there was a swoosh and the cylinder settled back in its nest. I gently removed it, extracted my receipt and license. Just for a moment I paused to look at the amount in my account. Just for a moment it didn't seem quite real. Just for a moment, and then I headed home to set up this blog.

5 comments:

cryingeagle said...

Thank you for sharing your adventure. I look forward to the rest of the Journey/Journal

Joyce Yellow Violet said...

You have grown the flight feathers needed---Go now---soar across the golden landscape of your dreams--stretch your wings and ascend on the wonderful currents of adventure this journey will provide for you--
yellow violet

Jean said...

Thanks for coming along!

Unknown said...

Where are you going this summer?

Jean said...

I'm headed to Northern New Mexico and the Four Corners Region.